Brush up your dental and dentistry knowledge with the following trivia and info tidbits:
- More than 300 types of bacteria contribute to dental plaque.
- While there are types of food that can worsen or start tooth decay, there are some that have been found to do otherwise. Several types of cheeses, for instance, are said to help prevent teeth decay. Aged cheddar, for one, is a good source of calcium that can help minimize the presence of cavities. Cheese also aids in maintaining safe and healthy pH level in the mouth that is not too acidic.
- Aztec Sweet Herb, also known as Lippa Dulcis, is a Mexican plant that is said to be an ideal substitute to sugar. This plant has been scientifically proven to be a thousand times sweeter than common table sugar. What’s more interesting about it is that it is said to not cause tooth decay, apart from being a low-calorie sweetener.
- Toothbrushes that we know today are quite different from what they used to be. While modern toothbrushes are typically of the bristles type, ancient items were quite different when it comes to their designs. Hog bristles, for instance, were first used in China. Horse-tail hair is also said to serve as early toothbrush bristles. Apart from the typical types, other materials used to clean teeth back then include animal bones, twigs and chew sticks, as well as bird feathers.
- Floss was first commercially manufactured in 1882
- The Crocodile Bird flies into the crocodile’s open mouth and cleans the crocodile’s teeth!
- While a snail has a mouth sized of a pin’s head, it can have over 25000 teeth!
- Giraffes only have bottom teeth
These are some interesting facts you should keep in mind about teeth and dental hygiene. Maybe they will come in handy some day.