Planning for Your Cosmetic Dental Consultation: Questions to Ask the Dentist
So you’ve taken the decision to enhance your smile and made your cosmetic dental consultation with one of our dentists at Minneapolis Dental. The consultation is the initial step towards a more aesthetic smile to make you feel more confident. Before the consultation, you ought to decide the cosmetic defects you need to address and your budget. You should also make a list of questions you want to ask the doctor during the consultation.
Your consultation offers us the opportunity to examine your teeth and gums and recommend treatments, but it also offers you the opportunity to ask him any questions you have regarding his training and credentials, specific treatment options, and more. Below is a list of questions you should ask any cosmetic dentist before choosing to undergo treatment. These questions can help you evaluate your dentist’s skills and experience and determine if he is the right person to perform the procedures you are interested in.
Things to ask During Your Cosmetic Dentistry Consultation
It is important that you are through with your questions during the consultation. These questions will help you determine if the procedure and the dentist are right for you.
- What board certification(s) do you hold and what extent of training do you have in cosmetic procedures?
- How often have you performed the particular procedures I am interested in?
- Am I a good candidate for the procedure(s) I am interested in? If not, are there any alternatives, or are there steps I can take to improve my candidacy for treatment?
- What are the benefits and risks of these procedures?
- Will I need a sedative or local/general anesthetic for the procedure?
- Have other patients seen success with this particular procedure?
- Can you show me before and after photos of patients who have had similar cosmetic dental work?
- Can you show me a preview of my potential results with the procedure(s) I am interested in?
- Do you recommend any additional procedures or alternatives to the procedure(s) I am interested in? Why or why not?
- What are the estimated costs of these treatments? Is financing available?
Things to Make Note of During Your Consultation
Be prepared to take mental or written notes during your consultation. These notes can enable you to decide whether you comfortable having your cosmetic dental work performed by the dentist. A few things you will need to note may incorporate the accompanying.
- Is the staff friendly, welcoming, and knowledgeable?
- Is the office clean and organized?
- Do you feel comfortable?
- Does the doctor make you feel relaxed and comfortable when you meet with him?
- Does he ask questions regarding your cosmetic goals and budget?
- Does he carefully address all of your concerns?
- Does he thoroughly explain all of your options to you?
- Does he explain what to expect with each procedure he recommends?
- Does he provide you with a preview of the potential transformation you can expect with each procedure?
- Does he explain the customization of certain procedures and the potential for combining procedures?
- Do his recommendations align with your cosmetic goals?
- Are his recommendations financially feasible for you based on your budget?